Benefits of using Twitter in Education
- Twitter allows only brief responses (140 characters) so it allows quick and brief feedback. One student cannot monopolize the conversation.
- Students for whom English is a second language or who struggle with communication can participate using short phrases & typically worry less about their language skills. Even students who rarely raise their hand during class will often contribute using Twitter.
- Students can connect with other students and the instructor outside of class to ask questions, answer questions, and share current news & research sources.
- Mobile Twitter Applications allow students to connect using iPad, tablets, and Smartphones enabling communications during class and outside of the classroom.
- Twitter can be used to quickly connect with any web based resource including multimedia (e.g. YouTube, Vimeo, or Vine).
- Twitter provides new opportunities to connect with a global learning community at no or little cost. This allows the involvement of different cultural perspectives, expertise is specific topic areas, and a variety of new educational perspectives.
Check out our Learning Activity which we will conduct using Twitter and the hashtag #UofUCTLE.